Spring has crept into Austin really early. I’m relieved to have the worst of the cold behind us, but admittedly nervous about what 80º days in February means for July and August. This meal plan may not be in time to plan the bulk of your Week 8, but hoping that you guys can pull some quick ideas for the remainder of your week or get a jump-start on your planning for next.
We have a regular rotation of breakfast tacos, oatmeal, yogurt & fruit, scrambles, and this time of year we have gigantic ruby red grapefruits. Dressing up our oatmeal this week and our toast is a little more special thanks to homemade bread.
- Morning Glory Oats*
- Honey Oatmeal Bread**
Meals (Lunch & Dinner)
The prep of these two meals accounts for the bulk of my weekend cooking and Francie (my electric pressure cooker) takes care of any longer cook times that may be required on weekdays. It makes the hands on time at the end of my busy work/school days much, much easier. I’ve made notes below to indicate the advance prep work in addition to my regular weekend batches of legumes and grains.
- Samosa Shephard’s Pie (steamed potatoes and pressure-cooked split peas)
- Peppered Tofu Crisps^ + Grain + Veggies (marinate tofu in AM before work, pressure-cooked brown rice)
- Beet Ball ’n’ Fries Salad*** (prep work for beet patties)
- Enfrijoladas (pressure-cooked black beans)
- Taco Salads (portioned greens, pre-cut veggies, pressure-cooked black beans, pressure-cooked brown rice)
- Cabbage Ginger Noodles
- Tofu Simmered in Hoisin Sauce^ + Broccoli (pressure-cooked brown rice)
- Nachos or Tostadas or Sopes
We are snackers and the better I am about keeping cut veggies and homemade on hand, the better we are about staying away from the chip drawer in the pantry. On really hectic work days, we’ll piece together “snack lunches” with whatever we have on hand.
- Cauliflower Mini-Quichesº
- Sweet Potato & Orange Smoothies
- Banana Almond Milk Smoothies
- Carrots & Hummus
- Roasted Beets
Enjoy the rest of the week!
Watching The People v. OJ Simpson in the background.
Enjoying the stillness of the house.
Daydreaming about my first swim of the year.
* Whole Grain Mornings
** King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
^ This Can’t Be Tofu
*** Salad Samurai
º The Heart of the Plate