2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
2-3 red bell peppers, diced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon mexican oregano
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 heaping tablespoon of paprika (not smoked)
1 quart cooked black beans
1 quart cooked pinto beans
1 pint cooked kidney or red chili beans
1 quart canned crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon of chipotle puree
salt to taste
1/2 cup of textured vegetable protein (optional)
- Warm olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and bell peppers. Cook until onion starts to soften.
- Add spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Fold in beans and cook till warmed through.
- Stir in tomatoes with all the liquid, scraping up any bits along bottom of pan and bring to a boil.
- Bring heat down to low and stir in chipotle puree.
- Add in TVP (or not) and simmer over low heat until desired thickness.